Online Tools & Safety Tips
What to do in the event of a poisoning
In the event of a poisoning, first separate the victim from the poison. If the poison is a solid, such as pills, plants or mothballs, remove it from the mouth using a clean, wet washcloth wrapped around your finger. Don't try this with an infant, as you may accidentally force the object down the child's throat. If the poison is a gas, take the victim out of the affected area. If the poison is corrosive to the skin, such as an insecticide, remove the victim's clothing without getting any of the corrosive material on yourself. Flush the affected area with water for at least 15 minutes, then wash the area with soap and water.
Call 911 or your local poison control center immediately. Be prepared to tell them what the poison is and how much was ingested. Don't treat the victim without professional advice. The treatment instructions on product labels may cause more harm.
To induce vomiting as a poison remedy, you should always have a bottle of ipecac syrup in your household. Before you use it, check with your doctor or a poison control center.
Back to First Aid Tips