Online Tools & Safety Tips
Bicycle helmets keep you safe
A helmet is the most important item of safety equipment that a bicyclist can have. Three out of every four bike riders killed in crashes die from head injuries. A helmet decreases head injury by about 85 percent. You and your child need the protection that a good helmet provides.
Every bicyclist should wear a helmet. Buy only approved helmets that carry the SNELL® sticker inside. A white or yellow helmet makes you more conspicuous in traffic and thus can help you to avoid collisions.
Will your child wear a safety helmet? Starting a new safety habit can be hard. Several million bicyclists now own and wear helmets when they ride their bicycles. With the right kind of gentle but firm encouragement from you, your child will join the growing helmet movement. What can you do to help?
- Encourage the parents of your children's friends to buy helmets.
- Let your child help pick out the helmet.
- Begin the helmet habit with the first bicycle.
- Always insist your child wear the helmet.
- When you ride together, wear your own helmet.
Back to Bicycle